I made a list of essential items needed and headed to Joanne's fabric in Denver (a big trip out for this mountain girl!!). The list looked like this:
• fabric (about 7ft- enough for buttons and wrapping around board and foam) - I wanted a mustard yellow colour. Choice was limited do I ended up with a linen fabric.
• 2" foam
• button kit
• upholestry needle
• staples for staple gun
I also headed to Home Depot and picked up:
• plywood (3/4")
With all my supplies bought (approx $150) I headed home and started the big project!
I got the circular saw and chalk line out and marked, measured and cut out the headboard dimensions (52"x 39").
With the chalk line I also marked out grid lines on the wood which enabled me to mark the location of each button placement. I used a drill to make holes at the button locations.
The dirty work was done so I moved the board up to the kitchen table. This provided a better working height for the next part of the project!! I cut the foam out to the dimensions of the board and used glue to attach it down.
While that was drying I ironed the fabric and made the buttons following the kit directions!!
I got my helper to push the button deep into the foam from the front, while from underneath I tied a knot in the twine then used a staple gun to secure it in place. I zigzagged the twine back a forth, stapling as much as necessary, in order to keep tension on the twine.