Saturday, March 5, 2011

What a palaver.

So as we say goodbye to February, and hello to March - I would love to tell you all we now have gas, and therefore water. Unfortunately, I cannot. The installation of the gas meter has been the biggest palaver ever. Lets just say we have been running around in circles, trying to complete mundane requests from Xcel Energy (the gas meter providers).

It goes something like this: "3-5 days and we'll come and install it". "No, its not safe. Build a roof over the meter". "No, you need to build an extension of the roof to cover the electrical meter". "3-5 days and we'll come and install it". "Not sure its safe in that location. Build a wall at the front of the house so we can install the meter there". "OK maybe we will wait to spring and the ground thaws to do that". "Maybe if you sign a form to say you'll move the meter in the Spring, we'll install it in the original location". "3-5 days and we'll come and install it". "The original location is too close to the window - not sure that's going to work!".

So after 6 weeks of incompetent Xcel staff - I decided it was time to go to the top. I called the Statewide Director for Xcel and ranted. He listened, took notes, liked my English accent, and said leave it with him. Within the day I had confirmation from the local manager that the meter would definitely be installed in the original location on Monday. I'm not holding my breath, but I'm hopeful we'll have gas by Monday evening, and if not, he gave me his personal cell phone number, and said I could call him evenings and weekends if I needed, so for his sake I hope his phone is off!

The roof Chris built covering the gas pipe. There's a mound of soil, covered in snow in front of windows.

Newly built roof. Very little snow actually falls close to the meter location because the actual roof overhangs. But even so - the meters potentially could get snowed in, or iced up - and snap off.

Chris made an extension to cover the electrical meter.

The overhang on the roof, and all the melting snow sliding off. I understand this could be a hazard to the poor gas man reading the meter - but it would be pretty unlucky timing if it fell just as he was underneath it.
Url loves snow - he could catch snowballs or shovelled snow all day if we had the energy to play with him! 




We probably should shovel the back door steps - this is how much snow is out there now!

1 comment:

  1. Chris said no-one would know what a palaver is. Its apparently an English thing - so here is the definition:

    palaver [pəˈlɑːvə]
    n
    1. tedious or time-consuming business
    2. loud and confused talk and activity; hubbub

    ReplyDelete